Kanopy is a video streaming platform for libraries with one of the largest and most unique collections in the world. It features more than 30,000 movies, documentaries, and indie and foreign films from hundreds of producers. Browse by subject to explore and expand your interests. Browse Kanopy Kids for streaming videos for children that educate and entertain!
To stream films to your computer, phone or tablet, you’ll need:
- A valid Bibliothèque Allard Regional Library membership number.
- An account at Kanopy, which you’ll set up the first time you log in.
- A computer with an internet connection OR the Kanopy app for iOS or Android (for watching movies on your phone or tablet). Kanopy will also work on your TV with certain devices.
Our Kanopy subscription gives each library member 10 tickets per month. When you’re logged in, you’ll see how many tickets are required to watch a film next to the play button. Tickets are not required for Kanopy Kids – you can stream as much as you like.
Setting up a Kanopy account
- Go to Kanopy on your computer or download and open the Kanopy app on your mobile device and select Get Started.
- Select Find Your Library and search for Allard Regional Library (members at both branches should select Allard Regional Library)
- Enter your library card number and password.
- Enter your name, email address, and password (create your own password for Kanopy), then select Sign up.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need an internet connection to play films? Yes. We also recommend streaming films over a Wi-Fi connection to avoid using lots of data.
Do I have to pay for using Kanopy? No. The library has a subscription that allows members 10 tickets per month to watch films.
How many movies can I watch from Kanopy per month? It depends. Each library member has 10 tickets per month. Some films require one ticket, some several tickets. When you search or browse for films, you’ll see how many tickets are required to watch a film next to the play button.
When does that limit reset? Ticket limits reset on the first of each calendar month.
If I don’t use all my tickets in a month, do they carry over to the next month? No.
How much time do I have to watch a film? Many films on Kanopy have a 48 or 72 hour viewing period (depending on the title). Once you start watching these films, you’ll have until the end of the viewing period to watch without using another ticket.
Are there age restrictions on using Kanopy? Kanopy content is intended for library users aged 18 years and above.
What is Kanopy Kids? The Kanopy Kids section is separate from the rest of Kanopy. Tickets are not required in Kanopy Kids. In Kanopy Kids, you’ll see only content that’s suitable for children, with a focus on ages 2-8. Kids can browse this section freely, and you can set up parental controls to ensure children can’t view content outside of Kanopy Kids. Once parental controls are enabled, a PIN is required to exit Kanopy Kids.
Does Kanopy work on my TV? Yes, with a Roku device, Apple TV, Chromecast, or by connecting your computer to your television via an HDMI cable.
Please see the Kanopy Help pages for further assistance with finding/watching films, troubleshooting or managing your Kanopy account, or contact library staff for help.